About Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Miami opened in 1992 to provide comprehensive cancer services to the South Florida Community.
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, part of UHealth – the University of Miami Health System and the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, is among the nation’s leading cancer centers and South Florida’s only Cancer Center of Excellence. A 2015 study by Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, published in The Journal of the American Medical Association, showed that cancer patients treated at Sylvester have a 10 percent higher chance of survival than those treated at nearly any other cancer center in the nation. With the combined strength of more than 300 cancer experts and researchers, Sylvester discovers, develops and delivers more targeted therapies, providing the next generation of cancer clinical care – precision cancer medicine – to each patient. Our comprehensive diagnostics, coupled with teams of scientific and clinical experts who specialize in just one type of cancer, enable us to better understand each patient’s individual cancer and develop treatments that target the cells and genes driving the cancer’s growth and survival, leading to better outcomes. At Sylvester, patients have access to more treatment options and more cancer clinical trials than most hospitals in the southeastern United States. To better serve current and future patients, Sylvester has a network of conveniently located outpatient treatment facilities in Miami, Coral Gables, Kendall, Hollywood, Plantation, Deerfield Beach and Coral Springs. For more information, visit Sylvester.org.
- Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center seeks “to reduce the human burden from cancer and other serious illnesses through research, education, prevention, and the delivery of quality patient care.”
- To become a fully integrated program of patient care, education, and research with an international reputation for excellence.
- To provide new hope for cancer patients in our extended community, which includes South Florida, the southeastern United States, the Caribbean, and South America.
- To promote efficient, community-responsive health care, and generate resources to sustain and enhance innovative cancer programs.
- Excellence: To exceed the limits in accomplishments and expectations
- Compassion: To work and care for the welfare of others, and to alleviate suffering
- Respect: To recognize worth, quality, and importance of others
- Discovery: To embrace the never-ending quest for new knowledge and awareness
Journey to NCI Designation:
- Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is poised to become Florida’s 2nd NCI designated center
- The prestigious NCI designation would allow Sylvester to secure additional funds, recruit scientific and medical talent with greater ease and improve its research integration with other specialized cancer centers, enhancing the quality of treatment